Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Weird day & a link-Funny thing happened on the way to the death of the traditional mutual fund

edited April 2012 in Fund Discussions
Late morning has Dow up half percent and NASDAQ off about the same. A bit uncommon for the 2 to diverge that much. S&P flat. Europe started strong, but ended mixed. Some Asian markets closed. Japan down substantially. 10-year Treasury back at 1.95% Never woulda thunk. (Catch - you've been right all along - but won't convince me there ain't a hellova bubble brewing there.)

Linked article "A funny thing happened on the way to the death of the traditional mutual fund ..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/09/us-funds-etfs-fight-idUSBRE8380GA20120409

Comments

• The Nasdaq is Apple down. Again, rather concerning that so much attention and focus is paid to one company - CNBC on in the background "OMG APPLE IS DOWN OH NOES WHAT DO WE DO!!?!?"
  • Reply to @scott: Thanks Scott. Wasn't aware of that. To be honest ... NAS has had a heck of a run & it's about time it cooled.
  • edited April 2012
    Hi hank,
    The etf's vs trad. mutual funds....always a head scratcher at this house. The one ultimate benefit of the etf is the buy or sell through the day when one chooses. The down side as I see this today, is that the etf's have become trading units for some many, including hedge funds. Folks really need to know why they want a particular etf and the hazards of tight sectors.
    As to the "versus". I had put this list together for a funds boat write, but have not posted. I don't know that it shows anything extra special, other than a view against active managed funds vs passive; and to know that the mix of holdings and other criteria is not the same for HYG and JNK. I recall one of the other reworked their methods about 2 years ago.

---HY/HI bond funds (can't make the list layout pretty)

2008 2009 2010 2011 YTD
    FAGIX *** - 32 +72 +17 -1.9 +7.2
    SPHIX -24 +51 +14 +3.4 +5.3
    FHIIX.LW -26 +51 +14 +4.6 +5.2
    DIHYX -29 +57 +16 +4.6 +4.7
    HYG -17 +29 +12 +6.8 +3.8
    JNK -26 +39 +14 +4.8 +3.4

***This fund can not be a direct relate to the other funds, as it usually holds 15-20% in equity positions. Overall, FAGIX has a most decent long term record, regardless of what sector it is matched against. We do hold and have held this fund off and on for many years.

As to the bond things.........I have the bubble machine loaded; and plugged into the power source. All I have to do is flip the power switch to "on".
    And yes, an interesting market start today. Scott's note does point to part of the Nasdaq move....Apple and Google; and likely profit taking, too.

Sidenote: Morel mushrooms were drawing a price of $178/pound last week in the Ann Arbor area.

Take care up there in the great north country.
    Catch
  • From Zacks:

A Crazy Rotation Day

Monday was one of the crazier days in recent memory. At first glance it's hard to see it with the S&P nearly breakeven on the day. Yet it becomes more apparent when you note the extreme difference between the Dow's gain of +0.56% versus the Nasdaq's hefty decline of -0.76%.

How the heck did this happen?

It's called a rotation day. Some groups were in favor (retail and banks). And other groups (like tech) got slaughtered.

What should you do about it?

Nothing. You can't chase a rotating market because you will never catch it. Kind of like a dog chasing its tail.
  • Catch: Where can I invest in those mushrooms?!!! I hope they came with t-bone & wine for that price!!!
    have a good 1, Derf
  • edited April 2012
    Reply to @Derf: Mushrooms, adjusted for inflation, are still well below their 1980 price level. They could still have a long ways to go - considering the easing by central banks.