Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Going Cashless Around The World

FYI: Love it or hate it, cash is playing an increasingly less important role in society.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.visualcapitalist.com/shift-cashless-society-snowballing/

Comments

• I'll believe the trend, but the data are suspect.

MasterCard reports that 52% of UK transactions are cashless (no date given) while the European Central Bank reports just 21% of UK transactions were cashless as of 2015 (Oct 15, 2015 is the date on the ECB report; the data seem to be from 2014).

MasterCard says that 59% of transactions in Sweden are cashless, while the ECB reports a paltry 3.9%.

Looking just at McKinsey data, one sees contradictions. The map says that 52% of North American transactions are cashless. But the table to its right says that only 45% of US transactions are cashless, and a mere 4% of Mexican transactions are. Canada's 57% doesn't pull the weighted average up to 52%.

IMHO more dubious is the conclusion that the column attempts to draw, viz. that a move to cashless transactions means less physical cash stored under mattresses (i.e. not in banks or equivalents). It uses this "conclusion" to explain why it will be easier to charge people for the privilege of saving money (by paying negative interest).

Personally, when I want to spend cash, I take it out of a bank, not my home vault or safe deposit box. The graphic reports Taiwan as having one of the lowest percentage of cashless transactions. Yet there, people have traditionally kept money in the post office or in banks, even as they conducted transactions in cash.

That has been changing I believe more than the figures suggest, e.g. with adoption of e-money. A Chinese term for use of any of these cards (e-money, credit card, etc.) is shua ka.

• After my age-30s kids visit and I try to send them off with a twenty, they now say 'Why? No, thanks; what would I do with it?'
  • msf
    edited June 2016
    That's a good sign. It means they're graduated from hole in the wall taco places that take only cash.

• Or maybe they are trying to tell you that $20 won't buy much of anything. Try upping it to $100 as a test and report back to us.:)