Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

re: SEQUX

edited April 2012 in Fund Discussions
Can anyone recommend a mutual fund which closely resembles the risk/reward profile of the Sequoia Fund ?

Somehow the closing date for new investors in January,2012 got past me and I haven't been able to find a suitable
candidate. FPACX comes to mind,however it already is part of my portfolio.

Thank you.
Bohdan.

Comments

• The Yacktman funds come to mind, YACKX or YAFFX. YAFFX is my large cap fund. I thought about taking a position in SEQUX before it closed, but in my mind it was too much like the Yacktman fund. They are both focused, have good long time management, great track records, large cap oriented and both willing to hold large amounts of cash if management can't find value. Even though I liked Sequoia, I didn't want to get in the habit of just collecting good funds.

Good luck with your choice.

• edited April 2012
    SEQUX is not closed. It's closed to new investors through 3rd parties, but you can still invest directly with the fund company.
  • Thanks MikeM. for your timely suggestion.

Bohdan
  • This fund was tax-efficient, but now it has 40% potential capital gains tax exposure.
  • SEQUX is best held in a non-taxable account due to the quarterly distributions and possbility of large year end distributions. The fund is closed to third party intermediaries only. I hold SEQUX with the transfer agent in a non-taxable account.