Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar conference: the Day Two agenda

Dear friends,

Day Two is always a bit challenging.

8: Cliff Asness of AQR and Rob Arnott of Reseach Affiliates riff on "the big picture" questions as the General Session speakers.

9: John Bragg and Steve Scruggs, Queens Road Value and Queens Road Small Cap Value. We'll likely chat about the recent reopening and why you'd do it in a market they're skeptical of.

11: Shannon Ericson, LMCG International Small Cap fund and LMCG Global Market Neutral Fund. The global market neutral fund has a, well, global portfolio, which strikes me as an interesting twist.

12: Mark Travis and Matt Berquist, Intrepid Capital and the Intrepid Funds. Mr. Travis is the firm's founder, president and CEO, as well as a portfolio manager. Matt is one of the marketing/media guys.

1:45: David Marcus, Evermore Global Value. He's a "special situations" investor with roots in the Mutual Series funds. Really thoughtful guy, wonderfully diverse experiences.

2:30: Matt Shaver, Lyndhurst Partners. Lyndhurst is a sort of marketing firm that tries to identify a handful of small, distinctive firms and help them succeed.

3:30: Mike Dzialo, founder of Managed Asset Portfolios and manager for Catalyst/MAP Global Capital App fund and Catalyst/MAP Global Total Return. Tiny, solid 3-year numbers.

5: John Blau, Poplar Forest. Mr. Blau had been president of Oppenheimer Asset Management and now leads to outreach/marketing effort for Mr. Harvey and the Poplar Forest funds. I'll be likely to ask about the relatively new Outliers fund.

7: Dinner with Gregory Nathan, manager of FPA US Value (formerly Perennial) since September 2015. It's been an ugly first year and the fund has surprising low cash holdings (10%) by FPA standards. I'll be interested to hear what he has to say.

In any case, if you have topics you'd like me to pursue with any of these folks, please do let me know. I'll learn what I can on your behalf.

As ever,

David

Comments

• Just a thought ...

Looking through the Morningstar agenda I can not find anything on ... How do we fix our Xray tool?
  • I'll ask the Morningstar folks what's up.

More soon! David