Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

discussion topics for Teresa Kong, Matthews Asia Strategic Income and Credit Opportunities?

Dear friends,

I'll have a chance to speak in person with Ms. Kong on the first evening of the Morningstar conference, approximately Monday at 6:00 Central. MAINX is coming up on its five-year anniversary, is virtually the only Asian income option out there and has done well; still, it has just $62 million in AUM. I'm apt to ask about the challenge of getting folks to think about niche income-oriented funds and about the degree of independence between the Asian and American interest rate regimes. And, generally, about who they think the audience for their Credit Opportunities fund will be.

Are their other topics you'd like me to raise?

As ever,

David

Comments

• I still track that fund. I'll be interested to see the 5-year performance numbers. Just out of curiosity. The chart looks like it has been a good choice for those who remain invested there.
  • @Crash
    Total return since inception (Nov, 2011) indicates about a 3.6% annualized total return rate.
    I don't suspect this will change much between now and Nov. 2016. The 5 year total will reflect the current status, + or - a tenth %.
  • Thanks, Catch.
  • I always ask the same question. How much should someone invest in Asian Fixed Income? Say that someone is a 50yo with a 50/50 stock/ bond ratio. Say they are 20-25 in foreign stocks. Say they have above average risk tolerance. Just a ballpark guess on her part. I realize this is not a fair question since she is not a financial advisor.
    What is she worried about in the future? Is she hedging for an Asian black swan?
    Best, Mike.
  • Total return since inception (Nov, 2011) indicates about a 3.6% annualized total return rate.
    Decent annualized return. Other risks must also be considered (currency, geopolitical, and credit) when invest outside of US.