Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• msf June 2016
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Q&A With Scott Burns: Some IRA Withdrawals Can Cost More Than Others

FYI: Q: My wife and I are retired. We recently purchased a condo with the proceeds of our previous house, plus $43,000 from my IRA. I must pay back the $43,000 to the IRA within 90 days or it will be considered a permanent distribution for tax purposes.

I am trying to decide whether to accept the distribution or repay the IRA with funds from my variable home equity line of credit. The interest rate is 3 percent, or a payment of $182 a month for 30 years.
Regards,
Ted
https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-center/articles/some-ira-withdrawals-can-cost-more-than-others

Comments

• AFAIK, the only rule that allows a short term "loan" from an IRA is the 60 (not 90) day rollover rule. Strange that wasn't mentioned in the "A" to the "Q".

Not suggested in the response was a suggestion to project out the impact on future RMDs of taking the money out now. That is, taking the money now might be trading a one-time tax hit for a lower tax rate later on. Not too likely, but the numbers matter.