Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

13 April, Friday: All Asian bourses UP.....

So WHY did MACSX and MAPIX slide downward??? Anyone have a clue?

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Maybe some sort of fair value pricing (which I believe Matthews has done), maybe their holdings were down slightly while the Asian markets were up a bit? I wouldn't be overly concerned by mild fractional moves to the downside - especially if you have the kind of long-term view on Asia you do. I know you have a long-term view on Asia and are planning to diversify some, but I was curious if you had kind of a generalized plan as to eventually reaching "x"% of the portfolio in Asia and having that "X"% be a comfortable long-term holding or do you see your EM % allocation being fairly close to what it is now? I'm probably 40-50% EM at this point.
  • Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm conscious of the bigger picture about allocation percentages. I just looked at my portfolio and am not surprised, though I do not micro-manage the percentages. As for EM allocation, including both equities and bonds, I'm now holding over 75% of my total there. Here's the break-down:

PREMX: 38.95% of portfolio
    MAINX 2.61

MAPIX 30.71
    MACSX 3.47

.....Which is still too much, but I'm not losing sleep over it. I began investing when I first had the chance when some money came my way in 2003. You might say I've never had the opportunity to actually be the Puppet Master and figure out a Grand Strategy to follow. Too many variables. I stayed in the same profession for 17 years, but moved around a lot. Got remarried. And on and on....So I've just been trying to keep some important bases covered along the way, in broader terms: foreign, domestic, stocks AND bonds.

My EM bonds come to 41.56% of total, but the vast majority of that is in ONE fund, PREMX......

Sort of by accident, by default, MACSX has been the fund I raid for vacations and unexpected crap when it happens. Hard to keep that one growing. And I will be tapping it to help with my son's tuition starting next year, though he lives on the Left Coast with mom. So MAPIX holds the biggest chunk of my EM equities by far.

I would be happier if the percentages in each of my holdings was more evened-out. But the monthly and quarterly dividends are like pennies from heaven. I'm not going to complain about "free money from the sky."

Long story short, I'd PREFER to have 60% foreign and 40% domestic, all around. And I will be keeping my conservative, domestic holding(s) growing in proportion to the others.
  • edited April 2012