Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Lowdown On Adding Foreign Bonds To Your Portfolio

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)

In 2013, Vanguard Group announced a big change in the bondholdings in its target-date and target-risk mutual funds: It shifted 20% of each fund’s bond allocation to foreign debt from U.S. bonds—a proportion it boosted to 30% last year.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/#q=The+Lowdown+on+Adding+Foreign+Bonds+to+Your+Portfolio++wsj

Comments

• MAPOX & PRWCX = 51.7% of portf. (Both are balanced funds)
    DLFNX = 2.5%
    PRSNX = 11%
    PREMX = 14.3%
    (Not the entire portfolio.)
    M* X-RAY shows
    10% Cash
    43% US stocks
    8% foreign stocks
    37% bonds of all sorts.
    .....EM bonds are flying high.
    "World bonds" pretty alright, too.

I won't be adding. What I will be adding to is a utility stock, to build quarterly divs. for current income in a taxable account. I have 8.5 years before RMDs kick-in on the IRA.
  • Hi Crash, looks like PRSNX has turned out to be a worthy fund.

Just charted it, DLFNX, and GBOAX (the last global oef I owned), and they have almost identical 3y returns, with DLFNX taking the steadier path to the result.
  • I recently added PFORX (D shares PFODX available ntf at Fidelity), my first foray into world bonds.
  • slick said:

I recently added PFORX (D shares PFODX available ntf at Fidelity), my first foray into world bonds.

Why does the yield on Yahoo say 6.92% and Fidelity 1.76%

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PFORX

My computation is closer to Fidelity.

• One's TTM, one's SEC. See M* for both yield figures side by side.

See also MFO discussion: Difference between TTM Yield and 30 day SEC yield:
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/18413/difference-between-ttm-yield-and-30-day-sec-yield
  • Thanks msf, always informative :)
  • msf said:

One's TTM, one's SEC. See M* for both yield figures side by side.

See also MFO discussion: Difference between TTM Yield and 30 day SEC yield:
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/18413/difference-between-ttm-yield-and-30-day-sec-yield

Thanks - I think I like using the SEC 30 day yield, not the TTM.
  • Same here - SEC yield
  • One who is smarter than me years ago, here at MFO, alerted me that the SEC number is the more reliable and accurate. So I have trusted that. Even though my government and its agencies have been lying to me for my whole life. I've come to expect it. ;)
  • Long story short:

If the market rate for a 1 year bond is 1%, you might buy a bond at:
    - 100 with a 1% coupon (returning 100 in principal in a year),
    - 101 with a 2% coupon (returning 100 in principal in a year), or
    - 99 with zero coupon (returning 100 in principal in a year).

The current yield on these bonds are roughly 1%, 2%, and 0%. But all of them give you a 1% yield to maturity - you end the year with 1% more than you started.

That's the idea behind SEC yield - it does for a portfolio with various bonds what yield to maturity (actually yield to worst) does for a single bond. It's more accurate for what you actually earn over time, but doesn't tell you the amount of the next interest check.

@Crash - the SEC yield is a formula; if it's wrong, it's the fund company that used the formula for its fund that is lying. Regardless, you're right - it's a matter of trust.
  • edited June 2016
    Yup. Numbers don't lie, obfuscate, misconstrue, omit and misrepresent.