Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Art Cashin: "Market Hasn't Absorbed A June Hike Yet"

Comments

• Wow. Not good news. Sure wish I had taken a bit more off the table a month and a half ago.
  • Last week it looked like Mr./Ms. Market was starting to reprice for a small Fed move, but Friday and today took the pizazz out of it.
  • @Shostakovich: I agree with Art, there will be no rate increase ,if any, till the end of the year.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited May 2016
    Thanks Ted.

I'm a week or so behind in reading Barron's, which I recently subscribed to. This is good in a way because you begin to realize how much the week-to-week market commentary is really just noise.

However, in reading Randall Forsyth's "Up and Down Wall Street" column from May 16th (today) I'll note Forsyth suggests that the equity markets are reacting to the likely election outcome as predicted by the IEM (Iowa Electronic Markets), a form of online gambling. In particular, Forsyth suggests that as Trump's odds of becoming President rise, the equity markets fall - and vice-versa.

Don't know whether such a direct link is plausible. But I do think the markets are unnerved by the coming election. Recent utterances by the FOMC (Federal Open Mouth Committee) are having their effect. But I also think our political silly season is having an impact - if not as clearly defined as Forsyth believes. Problem is: both of these influences are near impossible to accurately predict unless you're omniscient. I'm not - so the only action I can take in the face of these uncertainties is to do nothing.