Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Scott Burns: Changing the Terms Of Trade For Work

FYI: Henry Ford had two great ideas. One was the creation of the first factory assembly line with a conveyor belt. It cut the time to produce a model T from about a day and a half to an hour and a half. It created a massive productivity change.
Regards,
Ted
https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-center/articles/changing-the-terms-of-trade-for-work

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Huh? Mr. Burns notes:
    "I remembered this bit of history as I read Neal Gabler’s “The Secret Shame of Middle Class Americans.” The article is in the May issue of the Atlantic. It’s something everyone should read, particularly those in the top tier of corporate America."
    Does Mr. Burns really think that the top tier of corporate America really gives a rip about the workers?
    Technology. Not from when the wheel was invented, but from Mr. Burn's time on the planet. Farming in the U.S. would be a nice choice to note about; but there are many choices during the past 50 years. Technology shreds labor forces across and through the international boundaries. Intel built a wonderful new facility in Vietnam a few years ago. Such a list is now long globally. The cost of technology and labor will continue to seek the lowest cost and hopefully without a change in quality. Yes, technology will create some new jobs, requiring new skills; but generally do not offset the number of lost jobs by the semi or low skilled workers that have been displaced.
    Lastly, Mr. Gabler's confession (linked inside the article) about either his lack of desire or other regarding how to spend money properly is indeed a must read for those who can still be saved from his fate. I will forward his write to some within my email list.
    The most common statement that I have heard over the years by a majority about spending and saving habits is that "it" is too complex. These folks for the most part all have the aptitude, but not the attitude. I will proudly state that I have turned a few around.
    EDIT: forgot to add these two books that can help those so inclined. These make nice gifts for whatever.....

The Power of Habit

The Millionaire Next Door

Regards,
    Catch