Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Safe nuclear does exist, and China is leading the way with thorium

beebee
edited April 2012 in Off-Topic
Kirk Sorensen, a former NASA engineer at Teledyne Brown and a thorium expert said:

“The reactor has an amazing safety feature, If it begins to overheat, a little plug melts and the salts drain into a pan. There is no need for computers, or the sort of electrical pumps that were crippled by the tsunami. The reactor saves itself,” he said.

“They operate at atmospheric pressure so you don’t have the sort of hydrogen explosions we’ve seen in Japan. One of these reactors would have come through the tsunami just fine. There would have been no radiation release.”
A Thorium plant in China:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CANDU_at_Qinshan.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/8393984/Safe-nuclear-does-exist-and-China-is-leading-the-way-with-thorium.html

Is Thorium the Biggest Energy Breakthrough Since Fire? Possibly.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/williampentland/2011/09/11/is-thorium-the-biggest-energy-breakthrough-since-fire-possibly/

Comments

• Very, very interesting, bee. Here's a bit more: ⇒ Link to Wickipedia on this...
  • Agreed, very, very interesting indeed. As soon as governments (read politicians) find or figure a way to make themselves and their cronies tons and bunches of money off such a project we'll be on our way. Until then plutonium production will remain king.
  • Howdy Mark,

I do believe Mr. Al Gore is riding the big money train via his shaking the trees of the green/eco movement.
    Course one may argue that he is recycling this money into projects to fund his views further down the road.
    On the other hand, I do recall that he and friends became involved in the activation of units to be traded at the CME (Chicago Merchantile Exchange) for carbon credits. I also recall these exchange units failed due to lack of action.
    Carbon credits (traded in Europe to the best of my recall) is just a lot of double speak crap. If companies are polluting past a guideline, just fine the hell out of them and they will either change or go out of business.
    Course then one gets the government into everyone's face. The end result would be hugh costs for everyone from the lack of electricity.
    I feel no pain for many of these folks who attempt to operate and have their fingers into the cash register of whatever may be the investment of the day; whether it benefits our society or not.
    There remains a great deal of "double talk" in place.

Regards,
    Catch