Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Few from my Watchlist

edited May 2016 in Off-Topic
OPGSX (gold and silver) -6.37%
PRLAX (Latin America) -1.96%
HSGFX (who knows?) -.37%

My worst performer today:
PRAFX (real assets) -1.94%

My best performer today:
DODBX (balanced) +.34%

Growing belief that a Fed rate hike is coming in June caused the Dollar to strengthen and EM markets, along with international bonds, to sink. Something tells me it ain't gonna happen in June, but I could be wrong.

Comments

• edited May 2016
    @Hank Today
    Worst
    TGLDX Change -2.45 (-6.19%) Y T D +58.30 Mid 30's M*Standard Deviation
    Precious Metals on a tear for most of year
    Best
    ETNHX Change +0.51 (+2.87%) Y T D -22.44 M*3YR S D 30.73
    Health/Bio just the opposite
    Largest
    BRUFX Down 3.87 (- 0.76%) Y T D +2.20% M * 15 YR 15.07% return @13.05 S D
    Cash (25.83% ) ,utilities,gov bonds have kept Fund on plus side."Taper Tantrum"susceptible ?
    http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/summary?t=BRUFX&region=usa&culture=en_US

A Refresher/Primer on C E F's In a Rising Rate Environment.

Closed-end funds can provide much better income yield than you’d get from most bonds or certificates of deposit. But be sure you weigh the risks

FUNDS
    Want Income? Closed-End Funds Offer Yield, But Beware Of The Risks
    PAUL KATZEFF 6:01 PM ET © 2016 Investor's Business Daily
    Danger In Debt

A second key feature is debt. Many CEFs borrow money to buy securities. That can boost yield by adding to the number of holdings in a CEF that are paying dividends, interest or capital-gain income. But it can also magnify losses.

If interest rates rise, longer-term bonds and additional rate-sensitive securities will likely lose value. The relative cost of a CEF’s debt would rise. It’s like having fixed mortgage payments on a house that loses value. Your mortgage payments don’t decline, but your collateral is worth less.

“The average CEF has almost 33% in leverage,” said Brock Moseley, founding partner of Miracle Mile Advisors, in Los Angeles. A CEF might even need to sell assets to help make its debt payments. “When rates rise, that hurts.”
    http://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds/mutual-funds/want-income-closed-end-funds-offer-yield-but-beware-of-the-risks/

Taper Tantrum Redux ?
    Throwing a Taper Tantrum ( an Elementary Review )
    You have probably heard that the stock and bond markets are rather fickle. They are reactive and overall not a very good indicator of economic health. What happens after the Fed starts to taper off easing is just that: a reactive response to something that might be bad.

Back in 2013 the Fed turned off one of their QE programs (or rather tapered it off). When that news was announced people panicked and money started pouring out of the bond market. The result was that bond yields increased dramatically. Since that time things have largely leveled out and investors have realized there was no need for a massive panic.

Read more: What Is The “Taper Tantrum” And Should You Fear It? | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/060415/what-taper-tantrum-and-should-you-fear-it.asp#ixzz493ycl500
    Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook