Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Permanent Portfolio Is Still Working Perfectly

Comments

• Dear Tony: Nice article, and as most of us know a very impressive performance record for the fund.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited April 2012
    Dropped a "perfect" 1.54% yesterday - more than the Dow, S&P or NADAQ. Oh, I know, the record is impressive & one day does not a market or a fund make. Still, not exactly a calm ride on a ripple-less pond. And, thanks for the good article Tony.
  • Other funds dropping 1.5% or more were Matthews Asia Small Companies, Matthews Pacific Tiger, US Global Investors Global Resources. Harbor International dropped 2.5%. No one is guaranteed a calm ride.
  • I want to qualify any notion that this fund is still working perfectly with some language that it works fine in a well-defined role in the context of a diversified, thoughtfully monitored portfolio. See BobC's comment in the recent thread triggered by David's commentary (and references) -- all worth a read, by the way: http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discussions-3/#/discussion/comment/10384 .

Many of us here have used PRPFX within different portfolios for a while now -- not necessarily three decades, but several years and more. (I was swayed by rono and BobC, after my own skeptical questions.) I have never heard anyone here make a serious argument for actually adopting any variation of a "Permanent" strategy as the whole plan. In general, I don't even see a lot of advocacy for any "set-it-and-forget-it" approach. Some of this may be selection bias of course --any set it and forget it true believer doesn't need to visit mutual fund discussion boards.

Set-it-and-forget-it either tacitly or explicitly assumes the whole investment environment has been modelled adequately. I am not aware that any model got all that close on the way the last five years played out. I see no reason to buy into any particular set of prognostications for the next five.

I tend to invest now in different "sleeves", which represent different strategies. I essentially am diversifying my convictions across different strategies (and sometimes different managers within strategies). I do let some short-term consensus views in -- like the whole world, it seems, I've leaned in the direction of shortening duration on bonds -- but I'm also aware that the consensus is creating profits for some clever folks on the other side of those trades. So I still let the passive strategies that ignore that consensus run. So my short-term views never amount to more than a lean.

It's dull, but for me in all things moderation. When I get really strong evidence that PRPFX is breaking down as one component of what I am doing, I will reexamine it --until then, no.
  • edited April 2012
    Reply to @GregFromBoston: Greg, Thanks for some excellent perspective ..... Any implied criticism of PRPFX by me is triggered by a recent small investment ..... Appreciate the article & comments on this thread, as well as comments by David, Bob C & Rono over the years.