Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Please tell me this headline is facetious!

Comments

• it's like ground hog day but lastings 20 yrs lol
  • Well MaxBialystock, After awhile a beaten dog only remembers life as a beaten dog. There are many different categories of erasers. Now, on the other hand, the type of eraser in the article is more interesting and an apt description of the la-la-land that is the modern economy. If I can't make money on money in one arena, I shift with everyone else to an another arena. No value there you say? Irrelevant, I say. Comeon down. Oh, and when you follow me to my new place, bring a little change for my cover charge.
  • edited April 2012
    "First, there is just some old fashioned catchin'-up to do. Secondly, he says there's going to be a sort of "ah-ha" moment in which investors acknowledge that a 2% bond yield in a 2% inflationary environment is a loser. And once they do, he says they will act.
    "As investors see that is the case and start shifting money to the equity markets," he projects that we will see real returns of 4-8% annually through 2019, or 7-11% if you tack on 3% inflation."

"Old fashioned catchin' up" is not an investment thesis. I can't stand BS like this.

"Secondly, he says there's going to be a sort of "ah-ha" moment in which investors acknowledge that a 2% bond yield in a 2% inflationary environment is a loser. And once they do, he says they will act."

It's also cheaper to buy than rent in most places but no one seems to care because many people can't get credit (or for other reasons.) Where's the money going to come from if older generations start retiring and cashing out?

I don't deny the markets may keep moving higher, but if it does, I think it will continue to do so without the participation of a large portion of the retail population. My curiosity is whether average investors will sell fixed income and move to equities. I don't know if they will - they have not in the old-fashioned "catch up" sense in the last few years.
  • Wave theories.............cycles. Oh, but wait a minute please................

He stated, "What we didn't count on was that we'd have a decade with two severe bear markets in it," he says, noting that the only other time that happened was the 1930s."

Not sure how that affects the wave actions; but surely not something one could forecast or plan upon, eh?
  • This guy has a bright future running CALPERS. Sounds just like their projection models.
  • OJ: LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH. ......And as for the rest of you: yup, yer thinkin' the same sorts of thoughts as myself about this bunch of horse feathers. Cow cookies. Beaver Biscuits. Road Apples.

But you know what we learned from "Hello, Dolly:" ....."Horace, money is like FERTILIZER. It's no good until you spread it around."

The article in question is choc full of fertilizer. Yup.