Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

wrongheaded econ policy thinking, abroad and domestic

Alongside the recent Summers and Rogoff columns pointing out the complete wrongheadedness of current campaign international trade / agreement discussions, my older brother and colleague do the same re the myths about domestic manufacturing and competitiveness:

http://blogs.piie.com/trade/?p=602

Comments

• Hi David,

It's still about retraining and that's what they keep ignoring. Tariff free int'l trade is good for everyone except the displaced workers. If they are retrained in a serious way, there is minimal heartache and misery. Yet with all these recent trade deals, they omit the job retraining.

I've always felt that anyone on unemployment should receive a "GI Bill" of an extra $100 per week (or whatever) that could only be applied to schooling if they passed the class. But, no. All unemployed must be available and cannot be a student. cretins.

And our gov't is charging interest on student loans to those who were financially unable to pay for schooling.

right,

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • edited April 2016
    @davidmoran

Funny you should mention your brother. I also have one who spent his life in heavy industry (non-union) who's been grumbling about NAFTA for at least couple decades. I found these grumblings amusing, but never took them seriously - until our state's primary this year which upset the apple cart big time (Michigan).

I was white collar and union. So my perspective is much different. I don't see either one of us as being completely right or wrong here. I think it has a lot to do with one's deep-set political pholosophy and also whose ox is being gored. I'll tell you however. This issue is not going away.
    ---

PS - While Flint's drinking water has captured all the attention lately, what has happened to the once great industrial base of that city is an even greater tragedy. GM essentially packed-up and left. Many of these jobs moved outside the U.S. What's left of the great city now more nearly resembles a ghost own (reminiscent of Fitzgerald's depiction of The Ashlands in Gatsby). Sad beyond words.

Regards.
  • rono said:

It's still about retraining and that's what they keep ignoring. Tariff free int'l trade is good for everyone except the displaced workers. If they are retrained in a serious way, there is minimal heartache and misery. Yet with all these recent trade deals, they omit the job retraining.
    I've always felt that anyone on unemployment should receive a "GI Bill" of an extra $100 per week (or whatever) that could only be applied to schooling if they passed the class. But, no. All unemployed must be available and cannot be a student.

Totally agree, and I know that all of the econs listed do as well. Not just retraining but frank subsidation. It will not help anyone if electronics and all else cost 4x what they cost, which is what will happen with certain trade dead renegotiations, but major support of those displaced is essential.