Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why does this CEF deserve 4 stars from M*? (IF link in post.)

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Why not? You can argue about classification but in its classification it was in top 15% in 1 year, top 1% in 3 years, top 15% in 5 years and top 1% in 10 years. It is all about how it performed in the past in its classification.
  • edited April 2012
    It's done quite well over time. Not quite as well this year, but when you have something so specific like Indonesia, it's to be expected on occasion. That's why I'm still kind of "eh" on specific country ETFs and I'd still rather be diversified in terms of Asia and EM in general, whether it be stocks (Jardine Matheson), etfs (DEM) or mutual funds (Matthews, Janus Overseas although the latter is global in nature), etc.
  • msf
    edited April 2012
    I was going to write that it got 4 stars because there aren't enough funds in its category for it to get 5 stars:-). But it turns out that there are 14 closed end Pacific ex-Japan funds rated by M*, and 10% are supposed to get five stars (and 10% one star). There is in fact a single one star fund (Korea Fund, KF). So my question is why isn't this fund (or one of the other 4 * funds) ranked five stars?
  • Good question, msf. I have tracked this CEF for many years, actually. And didn't Indonesia's sovereign debt get a recent upgrade from Fitch or one of the others? Not that it has anything to do with IF, specifically. But such an upgrade makes for a bit more attractive macro environment. And for years, back on either side of the turn of the 21st century, there had been a lot of political turmoil. Wish I had the $$$$$ to buy IF in 2001 when the NAV was less than $2.00.
  • I own the top holding (Astra International) via Jardine Matheson (Astra is a subsidiary), but the country appears to have a positive outlook overall. There's also a number of country-specific spin-offs of larger companies (Merck Indonesia, Unilever Indonesia, a few others.)