Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why Bargain-Hunting Investors Should Take A Look At Canada

FYI: It may sound strange, but my wife and I live nowhere and everywhere. We’re Digital Nomads. That means we can make our living from a hammock, as long as we have Wi-Fi and a laptop. We often watch global currency rates and travel to countries where our dollars go the furthest. That’s why we flew to Canada instead of Costa Rica..

Three years ago, Canada’s dollar was valued higher than the U.S. dollar.

By January 2016, it was 30 percent lower. Two weeks ago, I took U.S. dollars and bought a condo in Victoria, B.C. I also bought a Canadian stock market ETF
Regards,
Ted
https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-center/articles/why-bargain-hunting-investors-should-take-a-look-at-canada

Comments

• betting on Canada is essentially a bet on the price of WTI. If WTI soars, Canadian equities will do well. If WTI continues to plunge, Canadian equities will not fair well. --- Yes, besides oil/resource firms, Canada has world-class banks. However, those banks largely service their domestic economy -- and their domestic industrial economy is based on raw asset extraction and processing.
  • Right now it is a decent entry point for Canadian market with depressed oil prices and weak Canadian dollar. In time it is likely to return to norm sometime down the road. Given the strong US dollar, traveling to Canada has been great for our family.