Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Please define what Off-Topic discussion topics means

PSA
edited April 2012 in Off-Topic
I assume it means any non-financial topics. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comments

• I would say that Off-topic topics should be of an investing or general market nature that do not specifically mention (pertain perhaps) to mutual funds. Discussions about equities, gold, oil, nuclear power, annuities, insurance and so on might fall into this realm but WTFDIK. Granted sometimes things are posted which maybe don't even fit under that umbrella but they tend to be the exception and not the rule.

In other words - investing topics that are not specifically about mutual funds. However, this is not my web site or discussion board.
  • Hi, PSA!

I tend to share Mark's sense of what the Off-Topic board was designed to accommodate. That said, I try to take the source into account. There are folks who visit every day and have contributed to discussions regularly, often for as long as we've been around. If someone who's regularly and helpfully on-topic drops by and wants to vent to friends about a non-financial topic, that strikes me as reasonable.

I'd rather prefer that folks maintain those priorities (on-topic mostly, off-topic when passion moves). I guess, for now, I'd only insist on civility and non-commercial posts (don't try to sell your car or your services). I suppose a day might come when I need to be rather more assertive, but that day's not here and doesn't particularly seem imminent.

Hope that makes sense. I'm certainly open to other sensible views.

As ever,

David
  • Howdy,

I concur with Mark and David. Off Topic is still generally investment and/or economic in nature OR things and events that impact our investments and economic lives. For example, at times things can devolve into politics, but ideally, the discussion should focus on how this policy or that, might impact our investments - not whether they're right or wrong.

But, like Make, WTFDIK,

peace,

rono
  • edited April 2012
    Perhaps it would have been useful to establish an explicit "Economic, Financial and Market Discussions" group.

Anything of economic and financial nature (including markets and individual securities) that does not directly fit with (Mutual, ETF, ETN, CEF, even Hedge) funds would go there. Anything that does not fit either the first two would be "Off Topic". I would personally get rid of "Technical Questions". Off Topic would serve that need well if we separate the "Econ, Finance, Market Discussions" to its own place.

Update 4/5: I was thinking of a better name instead of "Economic, Financial and Market Discussions". How about "Economic and other Investment Discussions"
  • If it ain't broke don't fix it!
  • @ Old Joe - someone said that about the previous discussion board format. Oh wait, that was me. Nevermind.