Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Where’s The Beef? The S&P 500 Is Beating Mutual And Hedge Funds In 2016

FYI: The U.S. stock market has rallied into slightly positive territory for 2016, bouncing back from an early-year swan dive.

How are your funds doing? Goldman Sachs’ U.S. stocks guru, David Kostin, crunches the numbers on mutual and hedge fund performance year to date. One would think that massive stock swings would be a stockpickers’ dream. Higher volatility tends to create greater dispersion between winners and losers. A wide array out stock moves is generally more conducive to stockpicking and long/short funds because fundamentals get play out a bit more, unlike during bull-market rallies, when stocks tend to march higher in together
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2016/03/21/wheres-the-beef-the-sp-500-is-beating-mutual-and-hedge-funds-in-2016/tab/print/

Comments

• thanks so much for sharing this Ted. Yes the Old S&P has been quite good to us.... Sometimes its easier to keep it simple... Ted, I had a question. could you please tell me the fund you use for your cash equivalent? Why do you like it? thanks!

Michael
  • beebee
    edited March 2016
    MikeW said:

thanks so much for sharing this Ted. Yes the Old S&P has been quite good to us.... Sometimes its easier to keep it simple... Ted, I had a question. could you please tell me the fund you use for your cash equivalent? Why do you like it? thanks!

Michael

Hi @MikeW,

If you format your inquiry to Ted as @Ted it will register in his notifications and might provide a quicker response. I'd like to know the answer to your question as well.
  • TedTed
    edited March 2016
    @MikeW: For years when I was actively trading, I just kept cash in Morgan Stanley's sweeps account. Now that I have scaled back I use LDLAX and recently put some in FRUSX