Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CNBC Retail Survey On Best Asset to Hold - Sort of Surprising

edited March 2012 in Off-Topic
Shockingly, gold at #1, real estate #2 and stocks at #3. Gold and RE make up 61 of the respondents. Stocks - 19%. One can have all manner of takes on the result, although I think:

1:) I'd love to see who they surveyed, because given flows, I'd think fixed income would #1.
2:) People earning over 100,000 were more bullish on gold, although those earning under $100 were not far behind.
3:) Either gold is getting too high, or more people feel as if money is being debased. The combo of 61% on homes and gold would suggest a move towards real assets. Who knows, but I thought it was sort of surprising as I feel like more average people are selling at cashforgold and other places than buying. I guess not, if this survey is accurate.
+ I know retail hasn't come back to stocks, but real estate over stocks? That's pretty remarkable.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46838037/

Comments

• Maybe they only surveyed rono? :-)
  • edited March 2012
    That's what I thought, OJ.

Meanwhile, a cash4gold place opened up a mile away. They're everywhere it seems like. Either way, the survey is an interesting look at the current mentality. It's always said the retail investor is last in, but at this point, I think it's fair to say that anyone not already back is not coming back.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That's just great, Mo. Thanks.