Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wasatch Emerging Markets Small Cap Fund (WAEMX) Reopens

Effective Feb. 1

www.wasatchfunds.com

Comments

• Your post reminded me to take a look at several funds which I liked in my past 401K, but were closed and unavailable to me in a rollover IRA. With a few more months of turmoil, there may be quite a few funds opening their doors.
  • I'm wondering if GPEOX might reopen to existing shareholders. I would like to add to my holdings. They are sitting at $335MM.
  • I'm wondering if GPEOX might reopen to existing shareholders. I would like to add to my holdings. They are sitting at $335MM.

I called GP a few weeks ago asking the same question.
  • What was their response?
  • What was their response?

They had no intimation
  • I asked Eric Huefner about re-opening GPEOX this morning. Here's his reply at 8:24 a.m. MST.

Dennis,

Thanks for the interest. We are not looking to re-open GPEOX at this point. We have had discussions on the topic, but it would take a significant further retreat before we would likely do so.

Best,
    Eric
  • With the decline in emerging markets, I've been looking to add to my position in GPEOX, but it was hard closed and WAEMX was closed to new investors. I've been using Driehaus' DRESX instead. The diversification has worked well lately, but I think WAEMX would be closer to GPEOX for those that want the closest substitute. Having it reopen gives GPEOX investors an additional option.

FYI, DRESX was profiled by MFO here: http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2014/03/driehaus-emerging-markets-small-cap-growth-fund-dresx-march-2014/
  • As much as it disappoints me that I can't add to my GPEOX position, I do appreciate the focus on generating good performance and keeping assets within reason. I was concerned that GP may take that from their previous employer, Wasatch, but it seems that is not the case. Kudos to GP.
  • edited February 2016
    Looking at the Wasatch offerings, they seem comfortable with running more money - ie WAIGX ($1.3B), WAFMX ($892M) WAEMX ($785M), although some are much smaller, and some require direct investments with Wasatch. All told, Wasatch has rolled out close to 20-funds.

I am an existing Grandeur Peak investor with a humble pre-established automatic investment plan, and I appreciate GP's decision to close funds, and limit AUM.
  • Re-opening the fund to existing shareholders with a maximum investment dollar amount (say $25,000) would satisfy the desire to add to GPEOX while maintain the fund's small asset size.
  • They also have some larger institutions, I believe, where something like $25k wouldn't be meaningful so I doubt that would happen.
  • There has been some out-flow from WAEMX as emerging markets declined. As the same time Grandeur funds are attracting $ away from Wasatch.