Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

U.S. GDP fizzles in the fourth quarter/BOJ-Europe negative/Fed goes Negative?/ Where to put $ in now

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fourth-quarter-gdp-growth-slows-to-07-2016-01-29?dist=countdown

The FED will need to go negative this year. They will put it off as long as possible because it will be admitting they were wrong with the raise.

So - in a negative interest rate environment, where do you put your money?
We really need some time for the news to settle out to see the true direction of stocks.
The US$ should rise into and a bit after the Fed goes negative.
US Gov't bond yields should lower.

I'm still happy with my High Yield Muni funds now.

Future:
High Yield Emerging Markets Bond Funds - currency and interest play

REITS - when?

High Yield Corps - need to see how stocks behave - still a risky trade to me.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    High Yield Corps - need to see how stocks behave - still a risky trade to me

They have actually bottomed before stocks YTD. At 36% going into today and will be 41% after the close. My friend here who trades like me is much higher. In the past I would have been a lot higher being that we now have had two 9 to 1+ days in one week. Age must be catching up with me Either that or I keep thinking there is another shoe to drop in high yield. But as I have said in the past, I never make money with my thinking.
  • Another bearish article saying the whole world is going to cash :>)
    Could be signalling a bottom.

businessinsider.com/bank-of-america-flow-show-going-to-cash-2016-1
  • MOZART325 said:

Another bearish article saying the whole world is going to cash :>)
    Could be signalling a bottom.

businessinsider.com/bank-of-america-flow-show-going-to-cash-2016-1

"BAML said investors are effectively selling inflation and buying deflation, or the continued decline in the value of asset prices."

That is the key phrase, BUT, I do not think stocks tank as in the immediate past. It could be a long grind down.

• Junkster said:

They have actually bottomed before stocks YTD. At 36% going into today and will be 41% after the close. My friend here who trades like me is much higher. In the past I would have been a lot higher being that we now have had two 9 to 1+ days in one week. Age must be catching up with me Either that or I keep thinking there is another shoe to drop in high yield. But as I have said in the past, I never make money with my thinking.

The dividend yield on HYG for example, and link to stocks risk reward ratio just doesn't work for me at this time.
  • Dex said:

Junkster said:

The dividend yield on HYG for example, and link to stocks risk reward ratio just doesn't work for me at this time.
    Good thinking Dex. Although I hope if you do go into junk corps it is with an open end and not an ETF. My latest foray into junk corps was a bust. Sold down to 8% which will be zero at the close. Back to 65% in the junk munis and may go higher today. Actually, it is the CA munis which are leading in 2016. While I may be in the black YTD, still have made several bonehead moves.