Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Millennium's Worth of Earthquakes in Two Years in Oklahoma

So much for fracking being safe: csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2016/0110/A-millennium-s-worth-of-earthquakes-What-are-states-going-to-do
And given how powerful the energy industry is in the state it seems nigh impossible to regulate it to avoid a disaster:
An excerpt from the article:

"In Oklahoma, where a quarter of jobs are tethered to the energy industry, Gov. Mary Fallin and the State Legislature have deferred to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, which oversees the oil and gas industries, to broker a way forward.

Cory Williams, a Democratic state representative who has urged political action, said it was unlikely that the Legislature would act.

“Absent a catastrophic loss of life or property, there will be zero reaction from the Oklahoma House or Senate,” he said in an interview with The New York Times. “They don’t want to touch it. It’s a third rail.”

I wonder if there will be any financial liability for some of these companies if there is a disastrous quake. It's one of those intangible factors I suppose anyone has to apply when analyzing their stocks or living near their facilities. I imagine it's a lot less painful to analyze the stock risk than that of your house falling down.

Comments