Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG January 2016
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Be Smart. Don't Try to Time the Market: Joe Granville

FYI: As students of market-timing history all know, on this day in 1981, one of the world’s most heralded market timers made one of the world’s most egregious market calls. Today is the 35th anniversary of Joseph Granville’s "sell everything" missive to clients.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-01-07/be-smart-don-t-try-to-time-this-stock-market

Comments

• MJG
    edited January 2016
    Hi Guys,

The referenced article about Joe Granville recalls a dormant blast from the past.

In the early 1980s, I attended a Granville investment lecture in a downtown San Bernardino, CA auditorium. The auditorium was huge and so was the excited crowd. Given his earlier market forecasting successes, the size and enthusiasm of the mob was not unexpected. He sold many subscriptions that day.

Granville did not disappoint. He was the ultimate showman. I don’t remember the details of his technical analyses oriented presentation, but it was mostly Bear in character. Unknown at that time, his forecasting acumen had already abandoned him.

His long range Bear stance was the beginning of the end for him, although he remained a popular TV guest and published a market news and forecasting letter for decades afterward. Not too many folks, including market professionals, kept accuracy scores in that timeframe. That’s also true to a lesser extent these days.

In his personal appearances Granville mesmerized his faithful followers. He became famous for his entry stunts. In the San Bernardino presentation that I saw, his entry was nondescript. But during his talk he did wow the audience by pulling down his pants revealing spindly legs and underpants that had stock market symbols on them.

Memory is a funny and unpredictable thing. I don’t remember any of his technical analyses methods although I used a technical approach (later terminated) at that time. I only remember his outrageous “pants” incident.

Given his failed predictions in subsequent years, it’s amazing how popular Joe Granville remained. His fame exceeded his skill and talent.

It shouldn’t surprise me all that much given that many mutual funds that have performed poorly for extended periods retain a loyal supporter base. We resist change even after a bad decision; admitting a faulty decision is a daunting challenge. I’m sure the behavioral wiz-kids have much to say on this subject.

Market timing is indeed hazardous duty. Abby Joseph Cohen’s career exploded with a badly timed forecast in 2008.

Best Wishes.