Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Preferred ETFs May Be A Better Route To High Yield

FYI: High-yield bond ETFs and mutual funds have stoked a lot of recent chatter, not all of it good. Meanwhile, smart investors have quietly bid up exchange traded funds holding preferred stock, a hybrid security.

Preferred stock ETFs are an ideal choice for investors seeking income with low volatility, says Monish Shah, head of ETF trading at Mizuho Securities.
Regards,
Ted
http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=MjExNzI2MDM=

( Regular MFO Members are aware that the linkster has recommend PFF for a number of years)

Comments

• Financial crisis has left me w/bad taste in my mouth for holding BANK stocks. Plus their preferreds are rarely cumulative on the dividend, which in my view is a giant "f-you" to retail investors who want the stability of income.

One ETF that's not on the list you posted but has been on my watch list for ages if I want more preferred exposure is PFXF ... preferred stocks, ex-banks. It does hold a lot of REITs but no 'banks' per se.