Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TIPS recommendation by SIGFIG.com

I do my own investing but I like to see the recommendations made by professionals.

Robo Advisor SigFig.com offers a questionnaire which leads to a recommended portfolio, which for me turned out to be their "Balanced Growth portfolio" with the recommended allocations shown below.

What I find odd is the bond recommendation which consists of 27% Tips, 14% Emerging Markets Bonds, and nothing else:

U.S. Equities 35.0%

International Equities 14.0%

Emerging Mkt Equities 14.0%

Emerging Mkt Bonds 10.0%

Municipal Bonds 0.0%

U.S. Investment Grade Bonds 0.0%

TIPS 27.0%

Short-term Treasury 0.0%

Personally all of my current bond allocation is in bond funds holding short term treasuries and short term investment grade corporates and I don't see the value of anything else in the current rising rate environment, where bonds are perhaps more expensive than they ever have been (although of course I am not getting much yield).

Just curious whether other folks see the wisdom of the SigFig recommendation, especially the huge allocation to TIPS.

Joe