Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• LLJB December 2015
  • msf December 2015
  • Ted December 2015
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TAREX

Selling my long held Real Estate fund TAREX, gold rated at M* due to fear/uncertainty about what is happening at Third Avenue. Fear there is more to the story.

Joe

Comments

• msf
    edited December 2015
    No comments on the fund, but as a tactical matter you might want to keep a toehold.

When Third Ave Value added 12b-1 retail shares (12/31/2009), it increased the min to open its original (now labeled "institutional") class shares. So you may have a harder time getting back into this share class if you sell off completely and the fund turns out to be okay.
  • @Joe: I don't recommend you throw the baby out with the bath water. TRAEX is an excellent fund, and has a better than average performance record over the years.
    Regards,
    TED
  • I own the same fund and have been thinking about whether I should sell it or not also. I'm concerned that a lot of people are going to do exactly what you're doing and I'm thinking about, causing remaining shareholders extra cost, potential capital gains and potential impacts on investment performance. I've held the fund for a while and I like it so I don't want to do anything irrational, but worried that the future may not be as nice as the past.