Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Large Cap overlap/overkill?

I just realized that I may have too many domestic large cap funds ! Currently, I own FCNTX in my 401K, POSKX in my taxable, along with USMV and SPHD in taxable accounts. I realize that FCNTX does branch out into international areas but generally, it is a large cap domestic fund. Any room for consolidation here? I did buy SPHD for the large cap value slant with the dividend payers. It does seem to offset FCNTX and POSKX nicely. I"m not so sure USMV is necessary.

Comments

• Agree about low-vol etf, depending on your age and temperament.
    Would consider ditching SPHD again depending on your need for divs and your taxes.
    I could live with Danoff and Primecap guys forever. Two cents.
  • I was going to say something similar - Danoff and Primcap seem to move somewhat out of sync - one fund can do better for a few years, then the other takes the lead. Hard to say one is better than the other - they seem to be complementary in the large cap growth space.

Agree also on getting rid of blend, but unlike David, feel you can better do this if you hold value. That is, I would not bet on growth vs. value (or vice versa), but keep a good counterbalancing fund.
  • Was thinking Prime guys sort-of value? My ignorance here. If wrong, then add PRBLX or YACKX. But goes against goal not to increase number of funds, if that remains important goal.
  • I'm trying to whittle down my overall portfolio, not just large caps. But having four large cap funds just doesn't seem to make sense. SPHD does pay a half decent dividend and not too volatile. PRBLX is categorized as a large growth fund. Does that seem accurate?
  • No, but sorry, if I had known that (sorry for not doublechecking), I would not have mentioned it. It is to my mind and has always styled itself as LV or LB, among the very best. And appeal of SPHD understood, except if div income not needed, and it is taxable account, ditch anyway, ditto USMV. Add either Yackman fund, whichever is cheaper, and call it a day.