Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stocks are more overvalued now than at 2000 and 2007 peaks -- Mark Hulbert

"Ned Davis’s latest report focuses on something different: the median stock’s price/earnings and price/sales ratios."

"To be sure, Davis isn’t turning outright bearish, since some of his shorter-term indicators are more positive. But, he says, the valuation indicators are leading him to change his stance closer to neutral: “Median price/earnings and price/sales ratios higher than at the peaks in 2000 and 2007 are clearly a concern.”"

See: Mark Hulbert

Comments

• Perchance comparing apples and mushrooms? Average P/E on the S&P 500 today at 19, and 17 on the Dow. About where 2007 was, and P/E was not awful then. 2000 data, my guess is for S&P 500, not NASDAQ, which was where the majority of high-flying tech issues were located. I am not saying things are cheap now, but with the exception of a few crazies like Amazon, GE, Facebook, etc. others are not outrageous.
  • Good grief.

Just never stops.
  • Hello everyone the P/E Ratio numbers for the S&P 500 Index, as reported in the WSJ, reflect that as reported earnings (TTM) are running at about 23 while forward estimates are at about 17. Folks, this amounts to a huge spread with earnings estimates running about 35% above what is actually being reported by companies. With this, from my perspective, stocks, in general, are expensive.