Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ole BLue Eyes Would Be 100 Year Old Today

FYI: (There was only one Frank)
Today is the 100th anniversary of Ole BLue Eyes birth, and to celebrate we have a few choice recordings (scroll down to play them), and of course, an infographic:
Regards,
Ted
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2015/12/100-years-of-frank-sinatra/print/

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Thumbs up! Here's another: "The Summer Wind." (Feb. 28, 2016 is the first scheduled baseball pre-season game. Barely 2 months away, now. Count the days...)
  • edited December 2015
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/574/sinatras-100th-birthday

Sorry, but once you die you don't get any more birthdays. He died in 1998. I guess the studios and Nancy need some more money. After what he put you thru, I say go for it, Nancy, you deserve every dime of it. By the way, how's your brother doing? Thought so, sorry again.

Celebrate his songs and movie roles if you choose to do so, but I don't think I'd want to hang out with anyone who knows a great deal about his life and still chooses to celebrate it. Philandering lush, bigot, quite racist at heart, serial adulterer, and horrible father to his children--- what's deserving of reverence or fond remembrance there? He hurt a lot of people, esp. those closest to him, and was a pretty pathetic human being for most of his life.

If you want to hear the ugly side of him, listen to the last half of above broadcast. The only thing sadder than what The Chairman says on stage, esp. to Sammy Davis Jr., is the laughter and applause from the audience. And watching this scene at an early age told this young boy he was probably gonna have some problems with a broad swath of America for most of his living days.
  • Same here heezsafe. No fan.
  • Pick a song that they both covered, and Johnny Hartman's version is way better every time.
  • chill campers,

yeah, he was a jerk on many different levels. nevertheless, he was a great artist that contributed a lot to contemporary music.

golly, it's not as it he's the first nor last great artist that's completely dysfunctional in any other arena.

one of my favorites,

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • aaarrgh,

try this,

rono the tech bozo