Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stocks See Record Flip-Flopping In 2015: S&P 500 +/- 24 Times This Year

FYI: Investors know by now that it’s been a flat year for stocks. Just how flat?

So far this year, the S&P 500 has flip-flopped between positive and negative territory for the year a record 24 times, according to data compiled by Bespoke Investment Group. If the large-cap S&P index closes above 2058.9 on Thursday, that number would rise to 25 instances. It was flirting with that level in the early afternoon.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2015/12/10/stocks-see-record-flip-flopping-in-2015/tab/print/

Comments

• I don't understand what is special about a zero gain. Pick any level of gain, and you're likely to find the market settling in around that number in one year or another. Even this year, the S&P 500 closing price may have oscillated 24 times up and down around a zero gain, but it fluttered much more decisively around a 2% gain.

The S&P ended last year at 2058.90. A 2% gain brings it to just over 2100. The closing S&P 500 crossed that mark 38 times so far this year. (It crossed 2099 42 times.)

Fun with numbers. Hard for me to find more significance, though I'm not a chartist.