Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Funds' Political Influence

While this story largely deals with hedge funds' political influence, it's worth a read to understand how pervasive Wall Street's impact on our politics is today: nybooks.com/articles/2015/12/17/reimagining-journalism-story-one-percent/
I should add that anyone that goes to campaignmoney.com/ can look up their mutual fund managers and should not be surprised to see that they and/or their employers are big political donors, often although not exclusively to members of the Republican party. Of particular note are AQR and Cliff Asness as well as Rob Arnott at Research Affiliates/Pimco and Foster Friess, formerly of Brandywine and John Osterweis of Osterweis Funds and John Rogers of Ariel Funds. The Investment Company Institute, the mutual fund trade group, has also given to both parties. The linked story is also a call to financial journalists to cover this area more closely. I have tried to pitch stories on this subject in the past and have received lukewarm receptions from editors who seem unwilling to venture into this realm. I wish there was more coverage of it.