Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Closer Look At The New Cushing Royalty & Income Fund

edited March 2012 in Fund Discussions
http://seekingalpha.com/article/426411-a-closer-look-at-the-new-cushing-royalty-income-fund

I'm interested in this type of fund that invests in MLPs and royalty trusts. Any thoughts? Are there other of this type of fund around?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    I recently took profit on Salient MLP Energy and Income (SMF). I may look to get back in if the market moves lower. That said, the Salient fund is a very unique offering (it can hedge in multiple forms) and I wouldn't go with any other (although I currently own a little bit of an MLP fund that is going through the process of turning into an infrastructure REIT.) In terms of straightforward MLP funds, I think the Salient fund is rather illiquid, but otherwise I think it is really a compelling offering in the category.
  • Tortise Energy Partners and Kayne Anderson are a couple which offer a trio of MLP-type cef's. There are a few others.

Personally I hold the individual MLP's and trusts myself and pay myself the e.r.. However, I have held one or more of the Kayne Anderson funds when the discount was too much to resist.
  • Dear Tgeno: Since your interested in MLP's, I'm relinking the following article on MLP's in case you missed it.
    Regards,
    Ted

http://www.fa-mag.com/component/content/article/1-features/10121-a-compelling-asset-class.html?tmpl=component&print=1&page=
  • Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I see this as a hole in my portfolio I would like to fill, but more due diligence is in order.
  • They might be a good asset but since there are complications holding them I generally avoid.

They are generally not very good in Mutual fund or ETF formats. Tax inefficient in taxable accounts (or taxed at the investment company level as some mutual funds/ETFs in this asset class do) and there are even problems holding them in tax advantaged (retirement) accounts as you might be subject to taxes even if they are held in taxable accounts if there is substantial income.