Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Scott Burns: The Missing Bullet Hole Problem

FYI: An anecdote from World War II tells us a lot about why most of what passes for investment data is wrong.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/scott-burns/20151113-the-missing-bullet-holes-problem.ece

Just for the record, Scott Burns's investment firm AssetBuilder is a agent of DFA Funds.

Comments

• Burns' anecdote about bullet holes is "folksy" alright.

I might piggyback my own folksy oversight: WW 2 Army airmen were often required to fly into enemy fire, in order to accomplish their mission. -- The result (from Burns' anecdote) some planes were filled with holes and did not make it back.

Investors are not similarly obliged to fly into harms way. They can "decline a mission" any time they wish. So stay out of airplanes altogether when they are shooting at planes! (i.e. don't stick around for a bear market).