Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bogle: Stocks 6%, Bonds 3%

FYI: Bogle’s forecasts may not be reliable guides for any specified time period, but they will likely be close to the mark over the longer term.
Regards,
Ted
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=722835

Comments

• edited November 2015
    Interesting ...

I took the anticipated returns as noted in the article for bonds at 3% and stocks at 6% and I ran a forecast of what my portfolio would be expected to return based upon it's current asset allocation. It bubbled close to 4%. According to Morningstar's Portfolio Manager in doing a ten year lookback (portfolio's current configuration) returned better than 8%. So, in short words I should expect about half of what I received from the market going forward for the next ten years when compared to the past ten year period. With this, I just may have to make some special investment positions from time-to-time if I want to better these projected return estimates as I'd like to at least average 5% to 6%; and, I don't want to be fully invested in stocks to do it. So, it looks as though I will have to make those spiff investment positions, from time-to-time, to achieve my return goal.
  • @Old_Skeet,
    So, in short words I should expect about half of what I received from the market going forward for the next ten years when compared to the past ten year period.
    I concur with the range of 4% total return. Not quite as bearish as GMO forcast earlier, but unlikely to match the historical averages.