Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

My MFO Debut

edited November 2015 in Fund Discussions
Sadly, I am considerably scrawnier than the photo of my online doppelganger in this month's commentary, but I must say it is hilarious. (I do think I have a poet's fine features, though, more of a Lord Byron type than a body builder.:-))

Regarding the five undiscovered funds, the one I found most interesting personally was Clearbridge International Small Cap (LCOAX). I should add that though technically a load fund, it is available at major brokers like TD Ameritrade with the load waived. One reason it intrigued me is that the managers designed it from the outset to only invest in a portfolio of stocks that a $2 billion in assets fund could also invest efficiently in. So they've employed intensive liquidity screens from the get go. The reason that is interesting is they think the fund's capacity is $2 billion so that the portfolio and the fund's style should remain consistent even as it grows. That kind of forethought is unusual in the fund world and should prevent the inevitable style drift you see at other funds as they grow. It is also difficult to find good international small-cap funds as the field is relatively narrow. That's one of the reasons I upped the screen in the story to funds under $200 million, not just $100 million and under.

I also think LKCM Balanced is a solid fund for conservative long-term investors--low fees, low turnover, low asset base and a deep analytical staff. Sarofim Equity, although performing terribly of late, could also make an excellent contrarian play when high quality mega cap stocks come back in favor.

Comments

• That's not you? Damn. And here I thought we could go clubbing together.

Nuts. Well, maybe an after Christmas coffee in the Strip? With luck I'll be raiding Prestogeorge's some time just before New Years.
  • Well, Lewis, all I can say is this old lady has a bad ticker and "be still my heart" but I managed to open your thread before the ambulance came.

Everyone - thanks for this issue!
  • Something tells me Lewis had his eyes on that piece of apple pie.
  • edited November 2015
    @David, Your model doppelganger is almost as funny as mine, kind of looks like Mads Mikkelsen. If your in town, let me know. My wife and I go to the Strip District all the time.
  • Usually my son and I drive back for the week between Christmas and New Years. He rampages with his cousins, I wander through the Strip and anxiously peck out the New Years issue.
  • Guess no Primanti's then if you want to maintain your physiques.
  • edited November 2015
    @LewisBraham From what I've read of Lord Byron, he would be considered the modern-day equivalent of the drama queen. Several daguerreotypes I've seen of him showcase his full dark mane, and always draped with a long flowing cape (the Victorian "windbreaker"). Given your status as The People's Financial Champion, I suppose you could go with the cape, if you fancied taking another step in the Byron direction. After Bonfire of the Vanities, it worked for NYC dandy Tom Wolfe, remember? I'd say "hey, not such a stretch, it could work for you, too," except, in Pittsburgh, .....hmmm, perhaps that would be a stretch.:)