Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG October 2015
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Fund Ladder (vs a CD Ladder)

beebee
edited October 2015 in Fund Discussions
I asked a question as part of a different thread, but thought it worthy of its own limelight.

Here's part of that thread:

rphyx-rsivx-new-commentary-explains-mistakes-that-resulted-in-credit-losses

@David_Snowball commented on a possible alternative to RPHYX or RSIVX :

"...the best bogey I've got is Osterweis Strategic Income (OSTIX), which Mr. Sherman considers a legitimate peer. In their worst stretch, it took them nine months to recover from a drawdown. Since OSTIX is still below its previous high, the drawdown underway now might last longer. So maybe this is your "in a year or two" money, which implies judging performance over a couple year cycle."

This got me thinking and I commented back to David:

"Just picking up on your thoughts for OSTIX as part of someone's "in a year or two" money. I went a bit further and added other time frames as well as other fund considerations to create kind of a "fund ladder"."

For Less than 1 year money - PSHDX, BSBSX, FOSIX,
For 1 year money - RPHYX or RSIVX...or instead, maybe FIRJX or DLSNX
For 1-2 year money - OSTIX,
For 3-5 year money - PONDX, FAGIX

Anyone have thoughts on what your "fund ladder" might consist of?"

Comments

• Hi Bee,

From my posts you likely recognize that I love simple plans.

Consequently, my concept for a mutual fund ladder is far less nuanced than yours. In fact, I perceive my ladder as having only two rungs.

My ladder has a short term rung that has sufficient resources to withstand a major disaster or market drawdown, like 3 years worth of possible needs. A low cost short term government and/or corporate bond fund satisfies that requirement, like from Vanguard.

My other rung contains all my other mutual fund holdings. I contemplate holding them for at least one total market cycle to test their robustness against a bull and bear experience. I suppose that translates to a planned minimum holding period of 7 to 10 years, situationally dependent.

I'm a very patient investor.

Best Wishes.