Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

William Blair Global Small Cap Growth Fund to liquidate

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/822632/000119312515354880/d91280d497.htm

497 1 d91280d497.htm WILLIAM BLAIR FUNDS
WILLIAM BLAIR FUNDS

SUPPLEMENT TO PROSPECTUS DATED MAY 1, 2015 (AS SUPPLEMENTED JULY 1, 2015

AND SEPTEMBER 28, 2015)

The information below supplements the Prospectus for the William Blair Global Small Cap Growth Fund.

The Global Small Cap Growth Fund (the “Fund”) is closed to additional investment.

Upon the recommendation of the Adviser, the Board of Trustees determined that it was in the best interests of the Fund to redeem all the shares of the Fund outstanding on or about January 15, 2016 (the “Liquidation Date”), and then to terminate the Fund. Prior to the Liquidation Date, shareholders of the Fund may redeem their shares or exchange their shares for shares of another William Blair Fund. Any shares of the Fund that have not been redeemed or exchanged prior to the Liquidation Date will be redeemed automatically at their net asset value per share on that date.

The information below supplements the Prospectus for the William Blair Global Leaders Fund.

Effective January 1, 2016, Andrew G. Flynn and Kenneth J. McAtamney, each a Partner of William Blair Investment Management, LLC, will co-manage the William Blair Global Leaders Fund.

Dated: October 27, 2015

WILLIAM BLAIR FUNDS

222 West Adams Street

Chicago, Illinois 60606

Please retain this supplement with your Prospectus for future reference.

WILLIAM BLAIR FUNDS

SUPPLEMENT TO STATEMENT OF ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

DATED MAY 1, 2015 (AS SUPPLEMENTED JULY 1, 2015 AND

SEPTEMBER 28, 2015)

The information below supplements the Statement of Additional Information for the William Blair Global Small Cap Growth Fund.

The Global Small Cap Growth Fund (the “Fund”) is closed to additional investment.

Upon the recommendation of the Adviser, the Board of Trustees determined that it was in the best interests of the Fund to redeem all the shares of the Fund outstanding on or about January 15, 2016 (the “Liquidation Date”), and then to terminate the Fund. Prior to the Liquidation Date, shareholders of the Fund may redeem their shares or exchange their shares for shares of another William Blair Fund. Any shares of the Fund that have not been redeemed or exchanged prior to the Liquidation Date will be redeemed automatically at their net asset value per share on that date.

The information below supplements the Statement of Additional Information of the William Blair Global Leaders Fund.

Effective January 1, 2016, Andrew G. Flynn and Kenneth J. McAtamney, each a Partner of William Blair Investment Management, LLC, will co-manage the William Blair Global Leaders Fund.

Dated: October 27, 2015

WILLIAM BLAIR FUNDS

222 West Adams Street

Chicago, Illinois 60606

Please retain this supplement with your Statement of Additional Information for future reference.

Comments

• Kind of an odd liquidation as the fund seems to be doing really well.
  • 2.5 years and couldn't really get much traction... Only ~$60 million. Probably felt there wasn't enough money going into global small cap strategies and the $ that is...... Well, we all know where that has been going.
  • Let me echo Lewis's bewilderment. As a practical matter, most funds will toil in anonymity for 3-5 years regardless of how good they are. Advisor screens routinely, I'm told, exclude folks who don't yet have a three year record. So "not much traction" should have been written into the business plan.

The firm was underwriting the fund's operation to the tune of 0.4% - about a quarter million a year - but part of that cost is likely mystery money. That is, there are some management expenses (e.g., attorney fees) that are already born by William Blair, a fraction of which are allocated to each fund. The prospect that liquidating the fund will materially reduce expenses, especially if its assets don't stay in-house, are limited.

I'll ask.

David
  • I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with either the capacity of the other funds such as international small cap which is closed or does it have to do with the promotion of the managers to Global Leaders Fund. Maybe there's staffing issues or turnover in the firm and they needed Andrew Flynn on Global Leaders more than on small-cap. I'll be curious to hear what the reason is.
  • Me, too. Dropped a note to my contact there just a few minutes ago. More as soon as it's available.