Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WealthTrack: Guest: Kathleen Gaffney : Contraian Bond Investing

TedTed
edited October 2015 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Contrary to most forecasts, award winning portfolio manager Kathleen Gaffney sees a brighter growth outlook in China, the U.S. and much of the world, and is finding unusual bargains in battered areas like energy and commodities. On this week’s WEALTHTRACK, Gaffney explains why she is investing in unpopular places in her Eaton Vance Bond Fund.
Regards,
Ted
http://wealthtrack.com/recent-programs/gaffney-contrarian-bond-investing/

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Thanks, Ted. "Contra-i-am"--- nice touch!
  • edited October 2015
    I sold Ms. Gaffney's fund (EVBAX) a good while back; but, I still own her old boss's (Dan Fuss) fund (NEFZX). Both these funds follow a similar path with her fund (I think) now positioned more aggressively than his. If I were to repurchase this fund I'd put it in the specialty sleeve of my portfolio rather than my income sleeve as it seems, to me, to be a fund that is more of a global tactial allocation fund that generates a good amount of income (just short of four percent). Even at that, I'd much rather own BAICX (which pays out about better than five percent) or AZNAX (which pays out about six percent combined of both income and capital gains distributions) over EVBAX.
  • @Old_Skeet. I couldn't agree more. I have had a small position, then sold it all as I do not like her risk exposure just to juice her record over her former co-manager, Dan Fuss.
  • edited October 2015
    @Sven

In going head to head Katleen Gaffney (EVBAX) vs. Dan Fuss (NEFZX) here are my findings for total return ... EVBAX ytd -13.79% and for 2014, 4.69% ... NEFZX ytd -7.62% and for 2014, 5.65%. Seems as though the additional risk Ms. Gaffney (EVBAX) has taken on thus far has been a detractor when compared to the results of Dan Fuss (NEFZX). I am going to keep NEFZX and most likely will pass on my repurchase of EVBAX anytime soon. I am thinking about opening a starter position in BAICX now that I have dialed the number of funds owned down to 45 form 52, that I once owned. I did this during my recent process of raising my cash allocation to about 25% and reducing my allocation to equities to about 50% while keeping my allocation to income at 20% and to other assets (as classified by M*) at 5%.

Skeet
  • @Old_Skeet, If you examine the portfolio and compare both funds, there is sizable differences. Ms. Gaffney's fund has more risks in terms of credit quality (junk bonds and convertibles) and local currency (EM bonds). Both sub-sectors did not fared well this year.

In contrast, her former co-manager, Dan Fuss's Loomis Sayles bond fund is down this year too, but at half of the loss of EVBAX. In one of the recent interview Dan Fuss started to shorten the duration of bond exposure. Given the size of his funds (NEFZX and LSBRX), it would be difficult to make the changes quickly, especially when the junk bonds are thinly traded without depressing the prices more. Noted that he had similar problem back in 2008 when there was no/few buyers for junk bonds. And they were marked down at closing as if they are in free fall. Nevertheless, the large foreign currency exposure is hurting both funds when USD is strong this year. Most of Loomis Sayles foreign exposures are Canada (13%), UK (2%), and Norway (2%), whereas Eaton Vance's exposure have both developed as well EM markets including Brazil (3%), Mexico (3%), and Columbia (3%). Local EM bond index is down double digits thus far this year.

Going forward I think bond funds will face sizable headwind in rising rate environment, thus it is important to pick skillful managers. I am disappointed with Kathleen Gaffney given that she has worked with Dan Fuss for quite a while.
  • Sven said:

@Old_Skeet. I couldn't agree more. I have had a small position, then sold it all as I do not like her risk exposure just to juice her record over her former co-manager, Dan Fuss.

I thought she left on amicable terms...was there a falling out between them?

• @little5bee, She left on her own to run a new fund. I read that she would expecting to succeed Dan Fuss as he retires, but that was not his plan. There are already two other (more junior) co-managers, thus the transition plan is to be more team-managed.