Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Yes, the media can pervert the truth. That 1st link is exhibit A.
    The headline on the link is “America’s biggest competitor really isn’t China”..
    Anyone can google “US bilateral trade balances” and discover which country runs the biggest trade surplus with the US (i.e. our trade-deficit). I’ll save anyone who is too lazy, by listing the top 5

China $343 billion
    Germany $74 billion
    Japan $67 billion
    Mexico $54 billion
    Canada $35 billion

I suspect the above 2014 deficits are typical of prior years. Note the Chinese trade-deficit EXCEEDS deficits of the next 4 countries combined.

Moreover, the anecdotal experience of most Americans is that virtually all consumer goods which, 50 years ago, would have been made in America, employing Americans, is now imported from China (or the Philippines, Costa Rica, etc.)
    I suspect the Wapo article was not written to seriously address trade issues, but to discredit Trump. Wapo is part of the Establishment. Gawd forbid some candidate NOT in harmony with Establishment objectives gets in the White House.

40 or so years of trade-uber-alles and what are the results for typical Americans? – real median household income is in long-term decline . 46 million Americans on food stamps -- as wages for so many Americans are constrained due to foreign competition --- and that result would be worse still without the unprecedented monetary intervention (ZIRP/QEx). Yes, GDP grew with trade – but it all went to the owners of capital, not to Joe Six-Pack (who actually lost ground).

Perot was right about the trade deals. Trump is right. WaPo wants to confuse the issue, confuse the sheeple, maintain the status quo for the Establishment and the 1%ers.
  • I guess you did not study or even read the WEF report.

>> the Wapo article was not written to seriously address trade issues, but to discredit Trump. Wapo is part of the Establishment. Gawd forbid some candidate NOT in harmony with Establishment objectives gets in the White House.
    >> 40 or so years of trade-uber-alles and what are the results for typical Americans? – real median household income is in long-term decline . 46 million Americans on food stamps -- as wages for so many Americans are constrained due to foreign competition -

lots of reasons for this, but it's another discussion, and some of it has already been had in this forum.

Competitiveness is complex.

>> -- and that result would be worse still without the unprecedented monetary intervention (ZIRP/QEx). Yes, GDP grew with trade – but it all went to the owners of capital, not to Joe Six-Pack (who actually lost ground).
    >> Perot was right about the trade deals. Trump is right. WaPo wants to confuse the issue, confuse the sheeple, maintain the status quo for the Establishment and the 1%ers.

Sounds like talk radio analysis, except I've never heard those guys say Trump is right.
    Maybe WEF wants to maintain Establishment status quo, whatever that is, and confuse the sheeple too!