Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Conservative Allocation Fund (GLRBX, VWINX, PRSIX, ??)

I trying to select a conservative allocation fund from GLRBX, VWINX, PRSIX for my IRA.

Given the fact, the interest rates will rise, and stocks might/might not be doing good what are my choices?

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Mulder

Comments

• TedTed
    edited September 2015
    @Mulder420: FYI: U.S. News Ranking of Conservative Allocation Funds. GLRBX #6, VWINX #8, PRSIX #3.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/conservative-allocation
  • edited September 2015
    You might consider BERIX if you haven't already. It and GLRBX are the two funds I have in that space. Looking back as far as 1991 periods of out performance have alternated. BERIX has performed slightly better overall but it has recently lagged. I suspect that is mostly due to its currently defensive 40% allocation to cash. Their August update said they have been patiently waiting for more volatility to show up....perhaps they are beginning to find some of that now...

http://www.berwynfunds.com/assets/BERIX-Monthly-Aug-2015.pdf
  • If you want a conservative balanced allocation VWINX has to be included in any set of such funds. This should be your first purchase, little chance of going off the range. If you don't have an account with Vanguard then GLRBX is a fine choice. There seems to be a market timing bent to BERIX, and its not working of late.
  • If you don't have an account with Vanguard, HBLIX is a conservative allocation fund with Wellington (VWINX) management. I own it at Fidelity.
  • HBLIX has a transaction fee at Fido, same as VWINX. Note that it has a 50/50 stock/bond split while VWINX tilts 40/60.
  • If you think you might ever want to trade or time even a little bit (interest rates and reactions thereto), you can get a fine ETF mix going 50-50 AOR and AOM.
  • People like EXDAX a lot. I've not been able to get myself to buy any Manning & Napier fund. I guess having an account with them would be okay for an entire portfolio. The seem to have a lot of funds to chose from