Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Oh how the mighty have fallen

edited September 2015 in Fund Discussions
NTHEX down 17.26% over the past year and a really poor 5 and 10 year record. And this is a bond fund! The father/son running this fund at one time were the best of the best. There is a moral here but don't want to rile up the board.

Thanks for the correction claimui.

Comments

• Your "There is a moral here" begs the question: So what is it?
  • It's the 1 year return that is -17.26%. YTD is "only" -7.60%.
  • FWIW, NTHEX is currently listed as a "Three Alarm Fund" on the MFO "Premium" site.

Search suggestion: An quick way to find if a particular fund is listed is to show the complete list (choose "Show All Funds"), and then use the "Find" function of your browser (usually "Command F") to enter the fund designation (NTHEX, in this instance).

Also, the three-Alarm table can be sorted on any column to make life easier.
  • The chart on M* makes it a poster boy for "mean reversion": http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=NTHEX&region=usa&culture=en_US

Though, knowing junkster's investment style a bit, I think the moral here is "get out while the getting is good."
  • I never fall in love with a fund manager or for that matter even care who he is. I see far too many who are in funds that have lagged for the past 1, 3, and 5 years (some severely) yet refuse to sell because of their confidence in the fund manager. That and the fact they can't admit they were wrong.
  • The stock market is absolutely one of those places where you need to check your ego outside the door. Even when you may be right about an investment it won't matter if the collective market disagrees with you. Above all else, learn to protect your principal/capital.
  • edited September 2015
    Protect your principal / forget your principles!
  • >> refuse to sell because of their confidence in the fund manager. That and the fact they can't admit they were wrong.

Not *quite* following, though I get the spirit. If I have confidence in a manager that I think is warranted because evidence-based, there is no right or wrong to it except down the road w/ 20-20 hindsight, correct? A perfect example is the Yacktmans. How long does one give them? How does one decide to bail given no goal change.
    More than one person here has written about bailing on Tillinghast in the past.

As with everything in life, the best we can do is make *the right decision at that time*.