Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Patterned By Birth

FYI: What if stocks experience their third separate bear market in under twenty years? What would that do to the psychology of investors?
Regards,
Ted
https://theirrelevantinvestor.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/patterned-by-birth/

Comments

• Its my understanding that stock market gyrations over the past 15 years have made millennials disproportionately reluctant to invest the stock market....even if they have the income and savings needed to do so. Another big near term dip in the market might be the nail in the coffin for many of them as far as considering stock market investing goes.
  • Howdy,

Yeppers, happened after the crash in '29. If I recall folks pretty much avoided stocks until the war and later. Hell, my folks just passed in their mid-80's and they wouldn't ever buy a stock. CD's and Series EE. Oh, and don't even suggest it.

I worked with quite a few people in state gov't that exited stocks after the dot.com meltdown in 2000 and they've never gone back. '07-08 cost more players.

And in addition to the folks that have been permanently scared away, how about the 100's and thousands that got thrown under the bus and will never be able to AFFORD to own stocks . . . and never work a job that offers that option with a 401k. All those that were forced to redeem their 401 in an effort to avoid losing their house.

I think that we can safely assume that it will be a very thin market for a decade or so.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono