Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vanguard: Perspective And Patience

FYI: 1. Market corrections are not unusual.
2. Multiple factors contributed to recent volatility.
3. The U.S. economy remains resilient.
Regards,
Ted
https://pressroom.vanguard.com/content/nonindexed/Commentary_VanguardBlog_Perspective_and_Patience_083115.pdf

Comments

• edited September 2015
    The seeming 'reasoned' approach laid out in the memo, ignores, in my opinion, a very important factor: PRICE.

Vanguard, which admirably delivers a low-price (i.e. low-expense) suite of products, apparently feels that the price an investor pays (or holds) investments is not something to be discussed when weighing allocation decisions.

I think I understand why they ignore/downplay asset prices --- as it would disrupt their buy/hold (i.e. accumulate AUM) business model. I guess I just disagree that asset-class prices levels is an insignificant detail....
  • edited September 2015
    @Edmund - Agree this sounds like it was written for a novice investor - maybe even a 10-year old. If they're simply trying to encourage folks to stay invested rather than pulling everything out of their IRAs - than I get it. I guess.

Hopefully this blurb isn't typical of what Vanguard cranks out for its loyal core of investors. T.Rowe Price, where I'm more familiar, puts out some excellent market analysis from time-to-time. Ignore them at your own peril (as I've learned the hard way).
  • Schwab also does a good job informing their clients who are on different phases of investing.