Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Top 20 Fast Food Chains In America

TedTed
edited September 2015 in Off-Topic
FYI: Eat your heart out ! There now are you happy ?
Regards,
Ted
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2015/09/top-20-fast-food-chains-in-america/print/

Comments

• Having trouble with links recently Ted?
  • Much better....thanks.
  • You would think McDs going out of business the way they talk about it.
  • edited September 2015
    But the CEO of one company on this list wants to stay very much in touch with his customers' hearts.

from Tony Sagami's weekly newsletter, Connecting the Dots:
    " Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz told his 190,000 employees in his daily “Message from Howard” email communication: “Today’s financial market volatility, combined with great political uncertainty both at home and abroad, will undoubtedly have an effect on consumer confidence and … our customers are likely to experience an increased level of anxiety and concern. Let’s be very sensitive to the pressures our customers may be feeling.”

Mr. Sagami reflects, "You can’t make this stuff up!"
    Of course not, Tony; that's why these guys are paid the Big Bucks.
  • So does Schultz tell his employees to suggest customers NOT buy coffee? After all, if folks are anxious and concerned, the last thing they need is caffeine.
  • Dex said:

You would think McDs going out of business the way they talk about it.

I was thinking exactly the same thing !

• heezsafe said:

Mr. Sagami reflects, "You can’t make this stuff up!"
    Of course not, Tony; that's why these guys are paid the Big Bucks.

Lets not have Stars in our eyes now:-D

• I suspect the list is: a)based on size of revenues (not qualitative measures) and b)only of those chains whose revenues are in the public domain.

For instance, it amazes me that Little Caesars is on any "top list", let alone still around. Its pizza is "nasty, nasty". Ditto with Arbys.

Several regional chains strike me as worthy of replacing some on that list. From Socal, two chains are pretty good: In-N-Out (burgers) and "Wahoo Fish Tacos". In Texas, the Whataburger! chain is pretty good --- they don't skimp on the meat. From my old St.Louis days, two chains struck me as very good: Lion's Choice (a fast-food roast beef chain that puts Arbys to shame. And Imo's Pizza -- serving St.Louis style pies.
  • A colleague who worked at Kraft Food said that one of her main job is to find cheap substitute for key ingredients of process food as a way to boost their bottom line, i.e. quarterly earning number.

So what is in your beef burrito ? Taco Bell it advertises theirs contain 100% beef while in lab testing it contains 80% meat and 20% undeclared. Same quality issue with Starbucks. Their premium coffee is worse than vast majority of mom and pop coffee shops. BTW, In And Out Burgers is quite good as fast food. Also Alberto Mexican Food in San Diego beats Taco Bells by a long stretch.

• edited September 2015
    Jim Gaffigan, Dominos:

Lewis Black, Starbucks