Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Coming Oil Shortage

edited August 2015 in Off-Topic
http://m.unknowncountry.com/insight/coming-oil-shortage

The situation is so dire that even George W. Bush's Energy Adviser, Matthew Simmons, has acknowledged that "The situation is desperate. This is the world's biggest serious question.". ... According to Secretary of Energy Spencer Abraham, "America faces a major energy supply crisis over the next two decades. The failure to meet this challenge will threaten our nation's economic prosperity, compromise our national security, and literally alter the way we lead our lives."

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Apologies - I accidentally bumped this dumb post to the Discussions+ page. ... Thought it interesting, however, how quickly the world went from oil shortage to oil glut.
  • Hi @hank
    Ah, Mr.Spencer Abraham. He is highly educated; but I'm sure his statement was from a low, position person at the energy department and was not a part of his personal insight.
    But, who knows.......... Those were the times that were in place then and folks didn't have a view of what technology yet had in store for the future of discovery of all things, including where and how to extract crude and related products.
  • beebee
    edited August 2015
    Wood to Coal. Coal to Oil. Oil to Natural Gas, Hydro, Wind, Solar, Nuclear Fission.

We also have a wood glut and a coal glut...I welcome oil to the "glut-cheon" (Kind of an all you can not eat energy buffet).

Let's keep oil in reserve and move on with our energy goals.
  • With bee on this one.
  • edited August 2015
    bee said:

Wood to Coal. Coal to Oil. Oil to Natural Gas, Hydro, Wind, Solar, Nuclear Fission.

We also have a wood glut and a coal glut...I welcome oil to the "glut-cheon" (Kind of an all you can not eat energy buffet).

Let's keep oil in reserve and move on with our energy goals.

We have goals? It wasn't clear we had any sort of plan.

Also, all the people in solar have seen those stocks get absolutely obliterated. Look at SUNE.
  • beebee
    edited August 2015
    scott said:

You are more correct than I as far an energy plan goes. Thanks for clearing the lenses on my rose colored glasses. I grew up with TANG and Apollo 13.

Here's a 9 year old presentation that addresses your point.
    purdue.edu/discoverypark/energy/assets/pdfs/Bowen-12-9-06-SymposiumPresentation.pdf
  • edited August 2015
    bee said:

scott said:

You are more correct than I as far an energy plan goes.

Here's a 9 year old presentation that addresses your point.
    purdue.edu/discoverypark/energy/assets/pdfs/Bowen-12-9-06-SymposiumPresentation.pdf
    Thanks, although I think my upset goes beyond the market and really kind of questions where this country may be in 3-5-10 years. I mean, look at energy, no plan. Oil is near enough to 2009 lows to just say it's there at this point. Are we as a country buying hand-over-fist?

LOL, no - of course not. Congress was actually thinking about selling when oil is at this level.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2015/07/28/congress-agrees-to-stopgap-highway-bill-strategic-petroleum-reserve-safe-for-now/

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/energy-environment/251770-selling-part-of-strategic-petroleum-reserve-is-a-bad

http://www.bradenton.com/2015/08/03/5924106/congress-looks-underground-for.html

I mean, Congress is looking for money in our emergency oil fund after oil has round tripped back to 2009 lows.

Honestly, I'm not going to go into a whole discussion because I find some of the things going on infuriating and I'd rather not get upset, but hey, it's just a continuation of the short-term mentality that has taken over this country. This period will end badly - ridiculously so - and perhaps one of these crises we'll have a government who will actually realize that things have to change. I wouldn't bet on it.
  • edited August 2015
    They're running low on water in California. Maybe they should start filling all those big pools with crude instead. Gettin cheap.

• @scott- I completely agree with you re Congress and selling oil. We should be buying it from the producers as cheaply as possible and filling the underground emergency reserve in Texas until it's totally full. Congress is a circus and the clowns are in charge.