Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

King Of Bonds’ Gundlach: No Great Case For Higher Rates

FYI: DoubleLine Capital’s co-founder Jeffrey Gundlach says that investors are underestimating the potential impact of higher rates on the economy and across financial markets.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2015/08/19/king-of-bonds-gundlach-no-great-case-for-higher-rates/tab/print/

Comments

• Great point of JG's that once the first 0.25 or so is in, Fed watching will probably shift to "when's the next one" and "how fast," and won't settle down at all. Fed "uncertainty" won't go away, it'll just shift focus. (And then there's always the chance the "inevitable rate-rise" perspective will get whipsawed if one of the next Fed rate moves is back down, to try to give a flagging economy a little boost.)
  • edited August 2015
    Agree with what's been said. There's a belief out there (I think encouraged by the Fed) that they want higher rates so they can lower them again and stimulate growth should the economy worsen. That's a bit illogical. If current low rates aren't providing much stimulus, why would returning to them at some future point help?

BTW - Weird day on markets. Gold's having very nice bump while most everything else is in the dumpster.
  • "A bit illogical. If currently low rates aren't providing much stimulus, why do they think going back to these rates at some future point would help?"

It won't. But what else can they do...well, aside from NIRP, that is.
  • We will have a low interest rate environment for 5-8 years more.

In about 10 years we will have a VAT to deal with gov't deficits and interest on the debt which will keep interest rates low.

I'd say the only thing what will have large pricing power is apartment rent, homes. retail space in densely populated, health care and necessities such as gas, electric, food.
  • edited August 2015
    Dex said:

We will have a low interest rate environment for 5-8 years more.

In about 10 years we will have a VAT to deal with gov't deficits and interest on the debt which will keep interest rates low.

I'd say the only thing what will have large pricing power is apartment rent, homes. retail space in densely populated, health care and necessities such as gas, electric, food.

I hope you're wrong on the VAT, but you're probably not. It would not surprise me if we have a low interest rate environment for nearly another decade, but I sort of question whether that can be managed without something becoming disorderly.

I fully, fully agree with you on the pricing power statement. In terms of retail space, I kinda ponder warehouse space given continued rise of online shopping vs B & M, but high quality retail in dense areas is fine.
  • scott said:

I fully, fully agree with you on the pricing power statement. In terms of retail space, I kinda ponder warehouse space given continued rise of online shopping vs B & M, but high quality retail in dense areas is fine.

The large online seller build their own centers.

My guess if you want to look for the play in that area it would be UPS. They do some warehousing and repairs along with shipping that would go up with internet sales.
  • edited August 2015
    scott said:

"A bit illogical. If currently low rates aren't providing much stimulus, why do they think going back to these rates at some future point would help?"

It won't. But what else can they do...well, aside from NIRP, that is.

At that point, it'd be more psychological than economic.