Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Need recc's for a Global Natural Resources fund with $500 - $1000 minimum...

...preferably a $500 minimum. Preferably, the fund would be tax-conscious.

Thanks, all.

Comments

• Howdy!

And a Good Friday to you, so to speak.

The first that comes to mind is T. Rowe Price New Era (PRNEX), which waives the investment minimum for folks setting up an AIP. It's traditionally less energy-centric than most of its peers, so some markets make it look distinctly sluggish.

Morningstar tracks only 10 no-load natural resources funds, and most are costlier to access, so if it isn't PRNEX I imagine I'd look at a global fund with consistently out-of-index positions in energy and materials. I tried running such a search for you this morning, but big chunks of Morningstar are off-line (perhaps related to the Amazon server problems?).

There are, of course, a host of ETFs but I'm just not as familiar with those. I'll check back with Morningstar later and update if I can find anything particularly promising.

As ever,

David
  • $500 IRA minimum or $500 non-IRA min?
  • Non-IRA. Taxable account.
  • what about vde - vanguard energy
    but if you have few more thousand try pspfx us global resources
    both are excellence choices w/ reasonable expenses imho
  • PNRZX - i believe it is still available in Wellstrade for $1k
  • David, Is PNRZX a good choice? available for low min at Wellstrade
  • Take a look at Fidelity Natural Resources fund (FNARX). These are stocks of companies that are involved in production of natural resources.

If you want something for more diversified, Fidelity Global Commodity fund (FFGCX) which includes agricultural commodity producers as well and it is global as opposed to US centric fund.
  • Minimum is too high.
  • In the IRA you can buy these funds at much lower minimum (even though it generally says $2500). Try buying at $500. It will warn you but will go through anyway. You can then build your position gradually or when Fidelity warns you of minimum assets, sell the fund and buy again.
  • Hi Shos,

Agree with Investor. Although he and I have FIDO accts; I don't know that you do, too.

Both funds mentioned have done well and don't know if that will last; but both have a decent range of holdings. As far as tax friendly, you may not find that this tax year; and I don't know of a fund in this sector that would help, for the tax area.
    NOW, being a FIDO acct holder(s) at this house, I don't know whether there is a little electronic gate that watches our total value with FIDO and would allow for some little, extra "special deal"; but as Investor noted....throw $500 at a buy and find if the trade goes through. We have had some rejected; but over the years we have thrown very small pieces of monies at non-Fido funds (well below the stated minimum) and wait a day, 2 or 3 and then find the "magic" purchase was allowed. I am sure Investor has had the same expericence, too.
    You just never know.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • GNR, SPDR S&P Global Natural Resources
    No minimum
    Expenses are 0.40%
  • It used to be that Fidelity would enforce the $2500 min. for FIDO funds. That changed sometime late 2008, 2009 quietly. They did not officially change it per prospectus but now they allow at $500 typically and you can build up from there.

They will access a fee of $12 if I remember right, if the fund is below $2000 when they go over balances at September (or October?) (check prospectus) but you can build until then and if the market cooperates you it might help you with some gains.

If you cannot meet $2000 by then and do not want to pay fee, you sell the whole position after receiving the warning and re-invest next month or something else.