Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Invasive Drone shot down, shooter arrested.....Duh?

If I flew a drone into the neighbors yard without permission, I would expect the drone to be "taken out".

http://www.northcentralohio.com/local-news/single.asp?story=65142

Comments

• DRONX The next BIG investment theme !!!!
    Have a great day , Derf
  • There are some positions that may be invested towards drones; but my experience is that most of the money to be made will be via private and not so much, any public exposure. Not unlike early monies into 3D printing.
  • edited August 2015
    I have No Trespassing signs posted on my property designed keep the unwanted off my property. And, if one of these drowns was hovering over my fenced back yard I'd most likely put my skeet and trap shooting skills to use ... and, blow such from the sky. And, when the owner came on my property to claim what was left ... I'd photograph him ... And, I'd then call law enforcement to enforce my No Trespassing postings.
  • edited August 2015
    What is the liability on these things should one land on your head during your outdoor cookout, or crash through your windshield when driving, or cause an aircraft accident?

It amazes me you can fly these without an operator's license or apparently any type of screening. That, coupled with mandatory PLPD, would probably get rid of 90% of the nuisance ones. Admittedly, they are valuable in many areas - including agriculture and law enforcement.

Skeet - Some of these can fly at 1000 feet - about the level of an aircraft on final approach. Umm ... your rights to take one out at those altitudes would be questionable IMHO. But I'm certain you're a good enough shot to do it.:)
  • why are drones special? My neighbor yesterday had his tree cut and taken away. My property was invaded by the tree cutters gear for 6 hours.

do "no trespassing" signs sell because people who want to sue others buy them? Is that a legal requirement?
  • edited August 2015
    Hi hank,

In my day, on the trap shooting circuit, I had some super piegon loads that would extend my range beyond the normal range trap load for a full choke trap gun up to about fifty yards or so. I remember busting a few trap birds back of fifty yards playing step back. In this type of match each shooter gets a bird and continues to receive birds after successfully taking out his target bird. He steps back one yard for his next bird from center station and continues the process until a lost bird happens. The shooter who has steppted back the fartherest is the winner and picks up the wager.

I have seen some shooters show up at these type shoots with 10 gague guns. I used a 12 gague trap gun with special live piegon loads as most did.

Agreed, 1000 feet would be out of my range but a 100 feet, or so, just might not be.

And, V/F, it is my thoughts, if they were on your posted property without your expressed permission they were there at their own peril.

Below is a link that, in general, defines the basic No Trespass Law.

http://thelawdictionary.org/article/laws-for-posting-no-trespassing-signs/
  • @hank
    You noted: "they are valuable in many areas - including agriculture and law enforcement."

There are indeed many areas of valuable and more important; safe use of drones.
    One area, of which I am not involved in any fashion; is the use by a roofing company and being able to provide and prove a more detailed assessment of needed repairs or potential problem areas with a structure, in particular; a dangerous and/or very large roof area that would normally require a person upon the roof for a "report".
    I recall looking at several homes in the U.P. years ago and a drone for a better look from and around the roof line would be of great value. Heck, for the really good and motivated real estate sellers, what a deal to take overhead photos of some properties, eh?
    Take care,
    Catch
  • My sympathies are entirely with the guy who took out the drone. As these things multiply (and boy, will they ever!) there's going to be more and more of this.
  • @MFO Members: Why ??????????????????????????????????
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi @Ted

Presuming you're questioning the thread?

Tis an area of tech. for investment and will have many implications, including legal status forthcoming that will shape outcomes.

Take care,
    Catch
  • @Catch said There are some positions that may be invested towards drones; but my experience is that most of the money to be made will be via private and not so much, any public exposure. Not unlike early monies into 3D printing
    Just saw this article when I saw Trimble tumbled today. Trimble Navigation Limited (TRMB) - NASDAQ
    $19.29 -3.56(-15.58%)1:43 PM, 08/05 - BATS BZX Real-Time Price
    Trigger warning.I seldom post an article from Seeking Alpha but thought this may be pertinent to an investment discussion.

From Seeking Alpha
    Who Will Benefit When Commercial Drones Take Off?
    Jul. 29, 2015 5:14 AM ET
    By Tasha Keeney, Analyst: Industrial Innovation

Despite crippling regulatory battles, commercial drones may finally be taking off. This year, Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) gained FAA approval for testing delivery drones, and the FAA is in talks to relax the onerous line-of-sight requirement1 for operators.

When commercial drones are free to fly, the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) expects unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to add $80 billion to economic activity within the first 10 years. ARK's research shows that software and service providers will benefit the most from the drone industry boom.
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/3367805-who-will-benefit-when-commercial-drones-take-off
  • Hi @TSP_Transfer

Thanks for the article and graphics.

Not unlike Uber, I think there is going to be a lot of private placement money heading into some of the newer tech. and related. This will keep "us" out of the money on these.

A recent piece regarding some of this is that Nieman-Marcus is going to go IPO. I thought interesting.......but find that the private buyout from 2 years ago has a primary purpose for the IPO in order to pay off or down their debt. I do believe I want no part of such an IPO; as there are too many other areas with which to go fishing with one's monies.

Take care,
    Catch
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice- I can see it now... inexpensive drones equipped with miniature aircraft cannon, specifically designed to shoot down other drones. What a business opportunity!
  • edited August 2015
    Okay, I'm going to post this video/story; although not related to an investment aspect.....from a few weeks ago; drone with operational pistol.
  • I guess the 2nd amendment protects guns that fly too - the wings could be part of the design like the magazines are. But I can't help having an image of GOOGLE 007 cars having "gun" fights with each other over the right of way on their way to nowhere with nobody on-board.
  • edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2015
    Its a travesty the father/shooter was arrested. --- Basically these drones (whether govt- or private- operated) have an unbridled license to snoop/spy on people at will. Pretty disgusting. -- Its getting to be like a "Stasi State" here in the US.

One "take" on the growth- & future ubiquity of --drones -- which will become ever smaller (eventually bug-sized) -- and that is home design. Specifically, people may start to demand from home-builders drone-countermeasures designed into future homes. -- Without countermeasures, just assume fly-sized drones may be "hanging out" on the ledge of your bedroom window, sometime in the future....
  • edited August 2015
    The good news - Soon we'll be able to get a truly fresh and piping-hot pizza delivered. Yum!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.