Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

For Investment Nerds Only Report

For those of us fascinated by taking a long-term view of markets and enjoy crunching numbers, this report has a lot of great info:https://publications.credit-suisse.com/tasks/render/file/?fileID=AE924F44-E396-A4E5-11E63B09CFE37CCB
In some cases return numbers in the report go back to the year 1900. I'm not sure if anyone posted it before as it is a few months old, so I apologize if it is redundant.

Comments

• A few months old? It's 115 years old (since 1900):-)

Don't know what use to make of it, but you're right that it looks like a fun read. A very brief skim turned up the fact that the US and France are the most diversified nations (by sectors), and that the Vice Fund did very nicely. I'm wondering what Morocco's sole industry is (phosphates?)
  • edited July 2015
    To me among the many interesting interesting details in the report is looking at some of the markets that failed like Russia and Venezuela and some that pretty much failed like Germany and Japan because of the war. Sometimes stock markets can disappear entirely if there is political unrest or war. Also, who knew Australia and South Africa have been such good places to invest? Or that Italy has consistently been such a terrible one? Also, how the industry weights to the U.S. market have changed over time is interesting. I think the mantra in the long-run stocks go up only really has applied to the U.S. and that's because we've been the predominant superpower during the period when most stock research has been conducted. The idea that a stock market or even a nation itself can completely disappear is utterly foreign to us.